Saturday, October 24, 2020

Semester 1 Project: Idea Draft

  • Breaking down the process of creating concept art and use the process to create something new.

  • Developing ideas / transcribing ideas into concept art.

    • Ideas inspired by folk tales / fairy tales (visually, contextually)

    • Adaptability with my art style 

    • The concept of charm and creating art that conveys charm

    • What themes of charm do I use in my art? Why do I use them? and where did they originate?

    • Using my style to create concept art for projects that my style would not be used for

  • Document the process of concept art. 

    • The idea, the prompt or the brief

    • The research (visual and historical research of culture, outfits, settings and stories that may be required)  

    • The concepts - discuss decisions and what you are trying to depict in these concepts, the functions and details 

Idea 1 

Breaking down the process of creating concept art by taking a pre-existing game and creating a new look for the game with this process. I will render the story and themes of the game into a description that will be an informative brief so I can fully re-invent the style from my own visual interpretation and from the research I have gathered. 


I will analyse the games art style and research into why they chose this style - why was this style chosen? is it culturally influenced or significant to the themes and feel they wanted to convey? 

Idea 2

Look at how concept art depicts both known and unknown folk tales / fairy tales and use this as influence for creating concept art for a video game based on a known or unknown folk tale / fairy tale - possibly interpret it in a way that would suit a video game.


By searching for media that depicts known and unknown folk tales / fairy tales; i will research the history behind these tales so I can analyse how they have been depicted and why they have been depicted in this particular way - is the depiction influenced by imagery we are familiar with?, where has this imagery come from? Has the creator made something new and their own unique take on it and if so why? Is the creator trying to contextualise a different aspect of folk tale / fairy tale? 

Idea 3 

Look at how concept art takes elements from old fairy tales / folk tales in order to replicate the look and feel we are familiar with when it comes to these tales to create a brand new fairy tale / folk tale. I will follow a similar route. I will create concept art for a video game that is not particularly influenced by any fairy tale / folk tale but will use those elements in order to create a new story.


I will search for different pieces of media that have been influenced by fairy tales / folk tales; I will research what new media was created from this and by both highlighting and analysing these influences I will be able to identify why it was used and if it has been able to effectively capture the look and feel it was trying to convey. 

The methodology of concept art 

Another part of my project will be researching further into the industry side of concept art and the practices used, i had trouble understanding where to look to find these practices in my previous project and how to research the idea concept art methodologies so i will take a different approach. I will...


  • Research the methods of concept art and how these methods inform my decisions 

  • Look at different concept artists methods to see what works - review and reflect

  • Compare these methods to how concept art used to be created from previous research - is there something missing? Or that has been lost along the way from what concept art was and is now? 

  • Attempt to contact concept artists / studios and ask them…

    • How do you start the process of concept art?

    • What advice would you give about the industry practices of concept art?

No comments:

Post a Comment