Thursday, January 28, 2021

Semester 1: Reflection

What did I take from Semester 1?

  • How different departments of a video game studio can play a role in concept art

  • How to develop concept art for a character around a particular mechanic, idea or theme; for Moss this was creating a character for a VR video game that required the player to develop a bond with the character in a story book-esque world

  • The functionality of concept art - every aspect of the concept art must be questioned in relation to games design - does this work? more so than - does this look nice?

  • Concept art is about 

    • Following a series of stages or methods for the fundamentals of concept art; this is to establish the pipeline of the concept art process. Although they may differ between artists these methods usually involve some form of brief or direction from an art director, research, reference collecting, sketching, thumbnailing, colour exploration and a finalised concept 

    • Having an idea and being able to use communication through visuals or annotations to explain that idea

    • Using stages of the concept art to refine an idea, re-visit an idea or scrap an idea altogether depending on the feedback of the art director 


What do I want to bring from Semester 1 into Semester 2?

  • A functioning concept art pipeline that is driven by research 

  • Working from a brief - as my starting point for what to do with my concept art research

  • Transcribing ideas inspired by folkish culture into concepts

  • Looking into how other concept artists have interpreted a character, story etc. so i can review and reflect on their methods to understand how and why they came to the decisions they made with their concept art and if this affected the development of the project e.g tv,film,animation,video game


To improve my work for Semester 2 I will need to work faster and more efficiently on the concept art I create to keep up with industry standard timescales. 


What I wanted to use Semester 1 for was to understand what concept art is and what concept art is for - going beyond its definition I wanted to learn about how concept art is made. I feel I have expanded my knowledge of concept art by delving into the early history of concept art, deconstructing different concept artists methods and questioning the perception of concept art between the industry vs the public and how this can affect concept artists. What I intend to do is work more on showing my research and new found knowledge through my art. 

No comments:

Post a Comment