Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Semester 3 Project: A Journey Through an Art Book, Page 29


For this page I tried to set up a layout that showed a progression of ideas that would answer any questions that would be brought up, such as ‘Can humans see Hobs?.’ 


I sketched out some concepts of the hob walking past people without being seen, only to be noticed in the corner of their eye or when they look to where the hob has been. I've tried to show that in the sketch but I'm not sure it’s conveying that. I feel it lacks depth to the placement of characters - no sense of foreground or background so I might go back to this concept and improve it. 


When looking at how I could turn churning butter into a game mechanic. I looked at different styles of churners; researching what types were used in England during the 19th Century. This is where I came across the barrel churner which was in popular use around the time - with larger churners used on farms and smaller versions of the churner for use in the home or local inns. 


What i wanted this mechanic to be structured as a step-by-step process for the player to follow; from collecting the milk, carrying it to the churner, filling the churner and then start churning until the milk is at the right consistency - Being such a core element to the Hobs story it was a mechanic I thought about more in depth. 


Many mechanics in the game would be methodical and engage the player in the day-to-day life of a Hob. 


Reference Library: 

Below is a collection of images found and saved that inspired and influenced these concepts - my main objective was to search for images of different barrel churns, cream jugs, nightgowns and brass candlestick holders from the 1800s. 




Research Reference:

https://www.objectlessons.org/work-and-innovation-victorians/barrel-butter-churn-victorian-original/s64/a930/ 

http://www.oldandinteresting.com/end-over-end-churn.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment