Tuesday, August 24, 2021

Semester 3 Project: A Journey Through an Art Book, Book Cover Front & Back


The inspiration for my book cover was ‘The Art of Over the Garden Wall’ in both colour, layout and the use of frog imagery; I think the gold and dark burgundy colours used work beautifully together and give the book a classic feel. 

The Art of Over the Garden Wall, Patrick McHale, 2017


I also drew inspiration from the logo too for my own logo but also looked at types of font used at the time. I feel the font I made has a more unique flair to it’s design as it was illustrated by hand and not directly copied from a single source.

 

(Right) Mushrooms of America,. Boston,L. Prang & Co.1885

(Left) Antique Alphabet Font from early 1900's


For the mushroom illustrations in the logo and book layout I decided to use line art rather than my usual lineless work to make the mushrooms look like the wood block printed illustrations from the 19th and 20th Century, similar to what you would find if they came from an old botany book.  


No comments:

Post a Comment